Athens Drug Crimes Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Drug Charges in Georgia
Being charged with a drug crime in Georgia is very serious, and you need an experienced drug crime defense attorney in Athens who can fight for your rights. There are several different Georgia drug crimes, but they can all have lasting effects on the rest of your life if convicted, especially if you are currently a student at the University of Georgia. You need solid, proactive representation from day one to ensure that you are treated fairly and receive the minimal possible consequence.
Drug Charges In Georgia
You can be charged with many drug crimes in Georgia, but some more common ones also carry very stiff penalties. Below we list some of these charges and their penalties.
Georgia Drug Charges & Penalties
- Cocaine possession is a felony charge. There are mandatory minimum guidelines set by the Federal government, so even if it is your first offense, if you are convicted of cocaine possession, you face between 1 and 15 years in prison and the possibility of $100,000 in fines.
- Methamphetamine possession is very serious, and even for minor amounts, you could face massive fines and prison time of between 2 and 20 years. These penalties increase based on a number of different factors.
- Marijuana possession in Athens can be very serious, even if it is a first offense. If you are caught with more than an ounce of marijuana in Georgia, you may face felony charges.
- Possession of a controlled substance is another common drug charge in Georgia. The severity of the penalties you are facing depends not only on which drug is found in your possession but the amount of the drug. There are drug diversion programs available in some limited circumstances in Georgia for first-time drug possession offenders, and if you are able to successfully complete such a program, you could end up with no criminal record.
- Minors in possession of drugs are in immediate need of an aggressive criminal defense attorney. You could lose your license, face major fines, and even jail time, not to mention the lifelong consequences of having a drug conviction on your record.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia can land you criminal charges even if you do not have any drugs in your possession. This is a misdemeanor charge but still carries the potential for jail time and a permanent criminal record.
- Possession with intent to distribute charges is more serious than simple possession. A person convicted can face many years in prison and tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
- Drug Trafficking carries the most serious penalties of all drug charges. In fact, the jail sentences imposed on those convicted of drug trafficking are similar to those imposed on people convicted of violent crimes like rape and armed robbery.
Contact Our Athens Drug Crimes Attorney Today
If you have been arrested in Athens, Georgia, for a crime, J. Lee Webb can help you fight it and possibly dismiss charges entirely. Do not hesitate because your future is hanging in the balance.
Contact the Law Offices of J. Lee Webb today to schedule a FREE consultation with our drug crimes lawyer in Athens!
We understand both the procedure of drug & alcohol tests, and the science behind them
Attorney Webb has earned numerous awards for his standard of excellence.
Clients receive Attorney Webb's personal cell phone & email address.
We have over 25 years of legal experience.
I scheduled a consultation with Mr. Webb and within 5 minutes of the consult and giving my statement to my case I felt comfortable and confident.- Criminal Defense Client
Lee did an amazing job on my case. He asked me to walk through all of the details of what had happened and then studied the police reports in great detail. Once we went to court it was clear from the beginning that the judges and prosecutors really respect- Kevin W. / DUI Client
This was a first-time DUI (0.08), first-ever offense of any sort. I was referred to Lee by a lawyer friend. Lee and Alisa (his assistant) did an outstanding job of guiding me through the process from first contact all the way through trial (that never occu- DUI Client